As an employer, you have a legal responsibility to your workers and customers to run a safe and healthy workplace. Every workplace has some workplace hazards. To prevent injury or illness, you must first identify and regularly monitor them.
Safety and Hazard Communication Barriers will limit confusion and increase productivity and safety at your job site.
Workplace Hazards: What Are They?
Workplace hazards are anything that cause health and safety risks that may cause harm in the workplace. Depending on the work you do, some hazards may be less or more relevant. Ultimately, all workplaces have hazards.
Common workplace hazards tend to fall into four categories, Physical, Ergonomic, Chemical, and Biological.
- Physical hazards are the most common hazards in any workplace. Physical hazards can include noise, slips, trips, falls and vibrations.
- Ergonomic hazards affect the musculoskeletal system. Ergonomic hazards are physical, such as manual handling, poor body positioning and repetitive movements.
- Chemical hazards include substances that can be harmful to a person or their environment. Physical hazards may include flammable, corrosive, reactive, toxic, irritant and environmental.
- Biological hazards are organic substances that pose a threat to the health of humans and other living organisms. They include pathogenic micro-organisms, viruses, toxins (from biological sources), spores, fungi, bio-active substances and they can also include biological vectors or transmitters of disease.
Common workplace hazard health risks include:
- reduced well-being
- breathing problems
- skin irritation
- hearing damage
- damage to muscles, bones and joints
Preventing Workplace Hazards
Protecting yourself and your employees from hazards should be a priority. Identification and management of hazards is imperative to prevent potential harm.
Follow these steps to eliminate or reduce hazards:
- Perform a workplace ‘Risk Assessment’
- Evaluate what risks are present
- Determine how to protect your employess
- Perform annual hazard reviews, or more often if necessary
Banner Stakes is an effective, reusable and portable barricade system that provides unique safety benefits.
The Banner Stakes system sections off areas to reduce liability and convey warnings which eliminate confusion, increase productivity, and enhance safety. The industry standard for quality and dependability, is Banner Stakes. A must-have for any work place where safety, savings, and the environment are a concern. Banner Stakes is the leader in portable safety barricades for any industry including Automotive, Aviation, Industrial, Manufacturing, Hospitality & Gaming, Janitorial & Sanitation, MRO, Construction, Healthcare, Crowd Control, Safety, Equipment Maintenance, Warehousing, and Traffic Control.
For more workplace safety articles see our main blog page!
For more information on where to purchase our products see our supplier page!